how to recompile a port in a clean maneer?

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 01:39:11 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Eric Devolder <eric.devolder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chuck, now I better understand what's behind this. Maybe
> just a side question: Can I "refresh" the files contained in
> /usr/ports with the one of an older release? for example, I would like
> to use ports from 4.3 while I'm running a 4.11 for now. Of course, my
> /usr/ports reflects only ports for 4.11. How can I replace them with
> the 4.3 ones?

There are no ports for a specific FreeBSD release.
Most ports are meant to be compatible with 4.x,
5.x, 6.x and 7.x.

If you want to go back in time, you can cvsup
your ports tree to an arbitrary date. The more
distant point in time you choose the more likely
you'll not be able to fetch sources for the port.

You can probably use cvsup to "downgrade"
just a single port, but I find it more convenient
by far to use cvsweb. E.g. if you want an older
version of editors/openoffice-2.0, you can go to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2.0/
look through commits to the Makefile, choose
the version you want and place in into the ports
tree.

Consider installing the portaudit port, because
many older port versions have serious security
hole.