Which MySQL version best to use and with/without linux threads?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 5 17:58:21 PDT 2005

On Wednesday,  5 October 2005 at  7:51:33 -0800, Peter Giessel wrote:
>  On Wednesday, October 05, 2005, at 07:31AM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On Monday,  3 October 2005 at 10:37:21 -0800, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
>>> On 10/3/2005 09:41, Jared Kuolt seems to have typed:
>>>
>>> I've found that Dovecot 1.0a3 has a problem with 4.1.x,
>>
>> Can you give more details?
>
> Sure, FreeBSD 4.11, I upgraded Dovecot to 1.0a3 from the ports collection
> using Portmanager (portmanager -u), fixed the configuration files
> (as they had changed from Dovecot 0.99), and Dovecot couldn't login to
> MySQL anymore.  I turned on logging on MySQL and Dovecot:
>
> *** Dovecot Log ***
> dovecot: Oct 02 17:21:50 Error: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (aukebay): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry

This looks like the server wasn't running.

> dovecot: Oct 02 17:41:47 Error: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (aukebay): Access denied for user 'abbc'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry

And this is a second attempt.  The MySQL users haven't been set up
correctly.

> *** End Log Snipet ***
>

> *** dovecot_info log ***
> dovecot: Oct 03 08:53:56 Info: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connected to localhost (aukebay)
> *** end dovecot_info Snipet ***

This is an entirely different time frame, of course.

> *** MySQL Log 4.1.14 ***
> 051002 17:41:47       1 Connect     Access denied for user 'abbc'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

This is the same authentication problem seen from the other side.

> 051002 17:42:08       2 Connect     abbc at localhost on

And this
> *** End Log Snipet ***
>
> *** MySQL Log after downgrading (4.0.26) ***
> 051003  8:53:56       5 Connect     abbc at localhost on aukebay

And this is the next day.  It looks as if it worked.

> *** End Log Snipet ***
>
> The 17:42:08 connection is when I:
> # mysql -u abbc -p
> logged in from the command line using the password in the dovecot config file.
>
> I didn't touch the dovecot config file after downgrading, and I used the same
> .sql file to populate the database with both version of MySQL, so the password
> was unchanged.

So you're saying that the authentication problem was despite proven
good user name and password?

> If there are any details that you need that I'm leaving out that I
> can provide, please let me know.

It's not clear that there was anything wrong on the morning of 3
October.  Did you give up or continue?

There have been some changes to authentication (in particular,
password hashing) between 4.0 and 4.1.  It's possible that you need to
do something to your Dovecot configuration, but unfortunately I don't
know Dovecot at all.

Greg