Problems with SATA drive on a Shuttle

bcsfd204 at twcny.rr.com bcsfd204 at twcny.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 16:37:07 PDT 2005

Hi.
I'm having problems with FBSD 5.4-S on a machine I built.
It is a Shuttle XPC with SATA150 drives.

This is typical of the messages I get:
initiate_write_filepage: already started
ad5: WARNING no status, reselecting device
ad5: timeout sending command=ca
ad5: error issuing WRITE_DMA command

I found some hits on the mailing list indicating a possible hardware
problem.
I have replaced both SATA drives and switched the SATA connections from
the secondary socket to the primary socket.
(The drive controller is built into the motherboard.)
This happens on both drives but the one with the / filesystem is hit
harder with this.
I have swap partitions on both drives.
Nothing has helped.

I'm considering installing Suse Linux on the machine to see of it is a
software problem with FreeBSD.
I've also thought about trying one of the 6.0-BETAs to see if that
makes a difference.

Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks...