FreeBSD and Intel Hyperthreading technology.

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:31:11 PDT 2005

Hello,
            I have an Intel P4 2.8Ghz processor with Hyperthreading (HT).
The dmesg displays a message saying HT is present and 2 logical
CPUs present.I tried toggling the setting in BIOS but no difference.
    How does the FBSD(v5.4 stable) kernel deal with HT ? Do the internal
workings( maybe locking, per processor data or other things) change as
compared to a simple non-HT processor ? or does it use employ SMP
methods to deal with the 2 logical CPUs presented by a HT processor ?

I want to do kernel programming on FBSD and my project partners have
non-HT CPUs.How much difference will HT make ? can it be avoided ?

TIA.

Regards,
Pranav Peshwe