Error upgrading KDE with portupgrade

nbco nbco at screaming.net
Wed Oct 5 07:29:58 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 14:36, edward wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have recently upgraded from FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE to 5.4-STABLE using
> cvsup. I then upgraded installed ports using portupgrade -a (after
> running make fetchindex and pkgdb -F).
> Worked for most ports.
> But I have a hard time upgrading KDE from 3.3 to 3.4. Some ports in
> the KDE set upgraded OK, but kdebase among others didn't want to
> upgrade from 3.3.0_4 to 3.4.2_2. Tried :
> #portupgrade kdebase
> then
> #portupgrade -p kdebase
> The package itself donloads OK but I get the following at the end of
<snip error message>
> Any clue what's going on ?
> Thanks for your help.
> Edward

Hi there,
It seems as if your problems are dealt with in the
file /usr/ports/UPDATING.  I have pasted the most relevant
informational messsge here, but there is at least one other entry for
KDE which postdates this one. Generally, the UPDATING file is my first
port of call if there are any errors in upgrades.

I hope this helps
.nbco

20050320:
  AFFECTS: users of x11/kde3, x11/kdelibs3, x11/kdebase3,
        x11-themes/kdeartwork3, www/akregator, x11-themes/phase,
        multimedia/kdemultimedia3
  AUTHOR: kde at freebsd.org

  In KDE 3.4, a number of files were moved between ports, some ports
  were added, one port has been removed and some applications formerly
available
  in their own ports were incorporated into KDE. This means that you
will have
  to take some precautions to update your KDE installation. A simple
  portupgrade -a will not work.

  Portupgrade -R kde can fail as well, depending on what parts of KDE
you
  have currently installed. We therefore recommend sticking to the
following
  procedure. The procedure requires you to have sysutils/portupgrade
installed
  and you to be the superuser (or using sudo). We recommend not being
logged in
  to a KDE session on the machine you're performing the upgrade on. If
you
  choose to perform the update while being logged in to KDE, expect
erratic
  behavior and crashes from applications launched until you log out and
back
  in.

  1.) Delete installed packages which conflict with the updated KDE
      ports.

        pkg_deinstall -f kdeartwork-\[0-9\]\* kdebase-\[0-9\]\* \
        kdebase-konqueror-nsplugins-\[0-9\]\* kdewebdev-\[0-9\]\* \
        kde-\[0-9\]\* akregator\* phase\*

  2.) Now update the remaining KDE ports.

        portupgrade -O arts\* kde\* \*kde-i18n\*

      or, if you want to update KDE along with other updated ports:

        portupgrade -a

  3.) Reinstall the KDE ports you deleted in step 1.

        portinstall -O kdebase kdeartwork kdewebdev

   Changes in detail:

        - www/akregator is now included into deskutils/kdepim3.
        - x11-themes/phase is now included in x11-themes/kdeartwork3.
        - www/konqueror-nsplugins has been removed and is now integrated
into
  In mDNSResponder 98_1, mdnsd is no longer started by default due to a
  switch to an rc.subr startup script.  To start it, you must add add
  mdnsd_enable="YES" to your /etc/rc.conf or other suitable
  configuration file.

  AUTHOR: kde at freebsd.org

[...]

          x11/kdebase3.
        - Juk has been split out of multimedia/kdemultimedia3 and is now
          available as audio/juk.
        - Akode has been split out of multimedia/kdemultimedia3 and is
now
          available as audio/akode and audio/akode-plugins-*. Akode is
also
          a default dependency of multimedia/kdemultimedia3 now.
        - audio/mpeglib_artsplug has been demoted to legacy status and
is no
          longer the default decoder backend for kdemultimedia3. It's
also not
          depended on by kdemultimedia3 by default anymore.

  Known post-updating issues:

  - If you're missing acoustic notifications (system sounds) after the
update:

        rm ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

    Then log out of KDE and back in again (also see
    http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.php#q16).

  - kdm users might get warnings from kdm about obsolete lines in kdmrc.
    You can migrate your configuration while preserving your
customizations
    by running (as root or with sudo)

        genkdmconf

    Make sure to backup your old kdm configuration (usually found in
    /usr/local/share/config/kdm) beforehand in case the merge produces
an
    invalid configuration. Especially note that kdm does not use the
Xservers
    file anymore. A genkdmconf run will merge its contents into kdmrc.