Which MySQL version best to use and with/without linux threads?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Oct 5 07:24:43 PDT 2005

> Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2005 02:17 CEST schrieb Peter Wemm:
> > On Friday 30 September 2005 06:22 am, Olaf Greve wrote:
> > > Then, I'm currently configuring a second beast, eehhhh, server. :)
> > > Being an AMD-64 19" server, running FreeBSD 5.4-Release AMD64. On it,
> > > I instinctively installed the latest MySQL 4.0.x version (being
> > > 4.0.26) and it works flawlessly with the data from my current
> > > production machine.
> >
> > The only problem is that linuxthreads doesn't exist on FreeBSD/amd64.
> > You have to use one of the native thread libraries.
> >
> > Your choices on 5.4 are not that great.  I'd suggest libthr on 6.0 as
> > the closest match to linuxthreads, but I don't recall if it is
> > available on 5.4.  I have a feeling it isn't.  I have a feeling your
> > choices are libc_r or libpthread (kse).  libpthread should smoke libc_r
>
> Smoke of brakes or smoke of the engine?
>
> > for disk IO performance in general.  But modern libthr (on 6.0+) should
> > give it a serious run for its money.
>
> Please! Not all readers are native enlish speaking, it sounds nice but it=20
> doesn't help clarifying anything. I guess libthr is the favourite choice=20
> but I only guess since I never heard of smoking thread libraries nor of=20
> "run for money". I'm suffering from the list's english enough, please=20
> don't use phrases... :)
> Harry

You are right of course.   Slang and idiomatic expressions generally
do not help communications across cultures or language backgrouns.
But, I would add that English is a very 'subjective' language (no pun
intended) and as such is highly context based.   Many expressions,
including many standard expressions can only be understood from the
context in which they are used.

This can make things difficult, but it can also make it easy because you
can usually guess the meaning from the context, even if you do not know
the phrase or the word.  I have seen stories told in which one word
(a nonsense sylable) was used to substitute for every verb and noun and
most of the adjectives and adverbs and it was still possible to understand
the story with a little guessing.   In fact there used to be a kids TV
cartoon that did essentially that called the Smurfs.

So, although it is better to use clear language, don't panic when
you see something.   Take a good guess and you will probably be right.

As for MySQL version, pick one.   It will work.

////jerry