PID 0

Duncan Drury d.drury at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:29:07 PDT 2005

I am having a problem with Apache/PHP that results in Apache running as PID 0, which I cannot kill without restarting the server (or rather I don't know how else to do it).

I am running FreeBSD 5.2, with Apache 1.3.33 and PHP5.0.5.

Firstly does anyone know of a way to get rid of processes running as PID 0 without a reboot?  Would cut the diagnosis of this problem in two.

Secondly, is PID 0 in FreeBSD 5.2 something special or the mark of an error.

I think the root of the bug is with PHP, and am following that up on the appropriate mailing list.  If anyone else has come across something like this I'd be interested to hear.

Dunx