Stored hard drive failure?

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 00:14:01 PDT 2005

Hey folks,

I thought a saw a thread on something like this but I can't seem to find it
so I figure I might as well ask and see what turns up.

The scenario:
I use a hard drive to mirror my main hard drive. I then pull the alternate
hard drive off the system and store it for later use should the primary
drive fail, or the system as a whole fails.

How long can the hard drive sit on the shelf before some sort of natural
cause that prevents it from spinning up properly?

To prevent the above type of failure should the hard drive be spun up to
test its integrity?

If the drive is to be spun up how often should something like this be done?

Any other ideas that might shed light on hard drives failing once put in to
storage would be great. I do remember one user responded that on occasion
the HD needed a sort of tap at or near the drive spindle to jiggle it lose
should it become stuck for some reason.

Thanks.

~Mr Anderson