Thinkpad wireless problem

Matt Juszczak mjuszczak at dandy.net
Tue Oct 4 19:07:13 PDT 2005

Hi all,

My thinkpad wifi card is being a bit odd.......

When I do this:

ifconfig wi0 wepmode on ssid <myssid> wepkey 0x1231231234 up

It shows status as "associated", and a tcpdump shows activity on the
network, but I can't ping anywhere nor can I get anywhere (of course I
set an IP manually and also do a route add default 192.168.0.1 to add
the default gateway).

When I disable wep on the router, and do:

ifconfig wi0 wepmode off ssid <myssid> up

it works fine.  I can run dhclient wi0, etc..... all works fine.

So something is up with wep on this IBM Thinkpad T23 internal wireless
card.  Any ideas?

Maybe I'm being dumb, but the laptop says the key is a 40 bit wep key
while the router says its a 64 bit hex... although I think these are
identical because one is decimal and one is hex, correct?  Or is this
where my problem is?

Regards,

Matt