Fwd: Re: music on FreeBSD

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue Oct 4 18:31:07 PDT 2005

I've had a few more thoughts on the matter.

If "core" wants the music and the only question is licensing, maybe
core and you could agree on a custom license which allows anyone to
copy it unmodified (which must include being copied as a single file
from any web site) or including it unmodified in a compilation or
other derivative work (eg, FreeBSD), but not if that work consists
predominately of music.  It would be easier if you could just allow
all uses in unmodified form (I think there's such a CCL), and better
if you could allow generic translations of digital format.

OTOH, I'm guessing core could find someone to donate some music under
a BSD-type license, without a lot of effort.  Or get some
non-proprietary music off an out-of-copyright record or movie which is
probably on the web somewhere already.