Samba and/or cups problem with printing

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 4 16:58:08 PDT 2005

Hi,

(Please excuse my overly complicated message)

I just bought a usb laser printer (Lexmark E232). After some hours of digging,
I ended up having it working with cups+foomatic under a Laserjet 4 driver in
FreeBSD. It works fine.

But, to further complicate things, I wanted my printer to be accessible by XP
users on the same workgroup so I added a share in samba :

[printers]
path = /var/spool/samba
use client driver = Yes
printable = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no

As user "Alpha"
I can see my share from XP so I tried to print a test page. Windows asks me
for the drivers, which I provide and my test page prints about 5-6 minutes
later and most complicated documents don't print.
Then I log in as user "Beta" and he sees the printer, can print instantly and
everything is fine. Yet user "Alpha" takes hours to print.

So I figured, let's make a second printer in cups to the same physical printer
and install the same drivers in XP, but this time in user "Beta". Not
surprisingly, that "new" printer in user "Beta" takes infinitly long to print
but now user "Alpha" can print instantly using that printer.

Can anyone guess why or how to fix this behavior?

Thanks!
Nicolas.

--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct  1 11:51:38 EDT 2005
root at clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A