Problems with Acroread7 port

Vladimir Tsvetkov npacemo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:02:15 PDT 2005

> > > I meant that you need the X version of libfreetype.
> >
> > I've just installed /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8 port, but happen
> > also to break my acroread5 port, and neither acroread5 nor acroread6
> > works.
>
> I haven't had acroread6 installed in a long time, but acroread5 still
> works for me (in a very carefully controlled environment, because its
> security bugs are both serious and unlikely to be fixed).

I meant 7 (SEVEN) :).
I reinstalled acroread with
# portinstall acroread
and this fixed the problem with the Acroread5.

> > # acroread
> > /compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread:
> > error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared
> > object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > I looked for libXext.so.6:
> > # find /usr -name "libXext.so.*"
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
> >
> > It appears to be right in place, but still acroread doesn't work.
>
> That's *not* the right place.  The right place would be
> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.
> The one you found will only help you with FreeBSD binaries, not Linux ones.

Now, I understand. The problem with the Linux version of FreeType is solved.
This time I am getting a different message about another missing
library. But I hope I'm going to fix this too.