Problems with Acroread7 port

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Oct 4 06:18:03 PDT 2005

Vladimir Tsvetkov <npacemo at gmail.com> writes:

> > I meant that you need the X version of libfreetype.
>
> I've just installed /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8 port, but happen
> also to break my acroread5 port, and neither acroread5 nor acroread6
> works.

I haven't had acroread6 installed in a long time, but acroread5 still
works for me (in a very carefully controlled environment, because its
security bugs are both serious and unlikely to be fixed).

> # acroread
> /compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread:
> error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> I looked for libXext.so.6:
> # find /usr -name "libXext.so.*"
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
>
> It appears to be right in place, but still acroread doesn't work.

That's *not* the right place.  The right place would be
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.
The one you found will only help you with FreeBSD binaries, not Linux ones.

> I started to portupgrade -a:
>
> # portupgrade -a
> Stale dependency: acroread7-7.0.1 --> linux-pango-1.2.1_3 -- manually
> run 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
>
> What means that?
> I don't understand why this dependency happens to be STALE???

I don't either, but you seem to have been updating things in a
haphazard way.  Fix the dependency, update the ports, and you should
be fine.