Need help: fwd on ipfw

Foo Ji-Haw jhfoo at nexlabs.com
Mon Oct 3 21:13:46 PDT 2005

Hi all, I really need your help on this if you can...

I am trying to put set up port forwarding on my machine. So far the usual 'add allow' and 'add deny' rules work perfectly. The most important rule which bugs me is the 'add fwd' rule, which the snippet below shows:
ipfw add fwd 192.168.0.4,80 tcp from 10.10.10.0 to any 80

When I try to enter this on the command line, I get the following error:
 ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid Argument

I tried researching the web. Some mention the error only upon recompiling kernels. But I am using the standard 5.4 product release as-is. My firewall rules in rc.conf are as follows:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_logging="YES"

I also have this line in dmesg:
 ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled, default to deny, logging disabled

I see that 'rule-based forwarding' is disabled. Is this what caused the error? How can I enable it? I can't find the details on the Handbook.

Please advise. Thanks.