Logging Program Action

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Oct 3 20:08:20 PDT 2005

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 5.4. Presently, I am using DADA Mail, a mass mailing
> program similar to MailMan. The program runs fine under FreeBSD, with
> one exception.
>
> When the program "POPs" a message from the mailbox set up for it, it
> fails to delete the message. This leads to the message being resent
> endlessly unless I remove it manually. The programs' author, Justine
> Simoni, has been unable to correct this problem.
>
> For the record, I am using QPOPPER, the latest version. If I access this
> mailbox with my usual MUA, the message is downloaded and deleted
> normally.
>
> What I am looking for is a program that can log everything that the DADA
> module is doing when it runs. Specifically, when the module that
> accesses the mailbox runs, if possible. Perhaps I could then find out
> what the problem is. DADA is written in PERL.

Hi Gerard,
why not use ethereal to snoop the POP3 / IMAP traffic (not sure which
one you are actually using..it sounds like POP) - get a trace for both
products and compare. I have a feeling that DADA doens't issue the DEL
command after downloading the email. Or maybe it doens't close the
finalise the pop3 session properly and the server leaves the mail behind
(though I'm not even sure that is the expected behaviour).

then, once you know what the difference is, add the correct calls to
DADA's code.

Best,
Beto