How to configure CVSup supfile for correct ports tree ?

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Mon Oct 3 06:19:20 PDT 2005

edward wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just upgraded a 5.3-RELEASE system into 5.4-STABLE using CVSup and the
> usual building procedure. For this, I created a src-supfile containing :
> *default tag=RELENG_5
> It all went fine and 5.4-STABLE is up and running.
> I also have a previously configured ports-supfile with :
> *default tag=.
> I undestand this points CVSup towards the FreeBSD-current ports collection.

Not exactly, there's only one 'version' of ports tree independent of
system version. Empty tag ('tag=.') is all that's needed.

Have a look at the Handbook (chapter A.5.3 "CVSup Configuration)[1]:

<<
Which version(s) of them do you want?

[...]

Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some
tags are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify
an incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you
probably do not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the
ports-* collections.

> I am concerned about getting software that really matches the version of
> FreeBSD I am running. Is my ports-supfile OK, or should I change the tag
> line to :
> *default tag=RELENG_5
> to be sure ports and OS are fully compatible ?

Should be 'tag=.' as explained above. HTH.

> Thanks for your insight on this.
> Edward

Regards,

Karol

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>