How do you patch a driver?

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 03:53:34 PDT 2005

Foo Ji-Haw sat at his 'puter and typed on 10/3/2005 10:03:
> Hello Subhro,
>
> Thanks for your help. From the link I have the following files:
>
> ata-mk3m.diff-current.gz (2k)
> ata-mk3m.diff-releng5.gz (2k)
> ata-mk3m.tar.gz (100k)
> ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz (113k)
> ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz (2k)
>
> Which file should I be using? Is 'current' better than 'releng5'? Do I also
> need to download a pair of files: ata-mk3m.diff-current.gz with
> ata-mk3m.tar.gz?
>
> Sorry, but I am quite confused with kernal patching. Recompiling yes, but
> never patched in my life.

You need to read the handbook. Read through the chapter describing the
different trees of development. If you want to run the OS on a
production box I would recommend stable. Current is only for developers.
BTW, your mail client indents the replies incorrectly. I can see that
you are using Microsoft Outlook 6.0. I would recommend get Thunderbird.
It's a much better client alltogether.

Thanks
S.

--
      	         |                 Subhro Sankha Kar
      \   /      |    GSM: +919831064613  --  Fax: +919831832913
       \./	 |    MSN:subhro at subhro.org  --  Yahoo: subhro82
      (0Y0)	 |    ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM: bsdboy1982