6.0-BETA5, kismet & iwi ...

M. L. user at celeritystorm.com
Sun Oct 2 11:14:04 PDT 2005

Hi list,

I've just upgraded my laptop to 6.0-BETA5, hoping I finally would be
able to have functional wireless.. things didn't go quite as I expected,
tho.

My wireless card is an Intel 2200BG, supported on FreeBSD by the iwi
driver. I had it installed prior to upgrading by downloading from
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ , but removed it and added device
iwi to the 6.0 kernel instead. Now it always complains about "iwi0:
Please load firmware."

So, I went to damien's site again, only to find that the download link
had been removed, and a reference to ports/net/iwi-firmware was there
instead. I've tried to install the port, and it says I've already got
iwi(4) support, and won't let install anything. I'm left with a iwi0
that has no firmware, an so is worthless. Is the firmware somewhere in
the base 6.0 system ?

The other problem is kismet. Looking at the (poor) kismet documentation,
the best I could get from it was that I needed to define radiotap_bsd_x
as my capture source on kismet.conf. The documentation isn't clear about
what X is, so I've tried:

- radiotap_bsd_x
- radiotap_bsd_g
- radiotap_fbsd_x
- radiotap_fbsd_g

Either way, it says the capture type is unknown. Then I tried with
capture type ipw2200, and kismet said it wasn't built.

So.. where is the iwi firmware or where can I download it (pkg_add -r
iwi-firmware doesn't work btw), and how to make kismet happy about my
iwi0 card ?

Thanks in advance.