device permission in devfs.conf not working

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 2 11:02:05 PDT 2005

Hi,

I want to be able to use usb drives as a normal user so I added the line :

perm    da0     0777
in /etc/devfs.conf

But when I plug in the device, da0 and da0s1 is created with default
permission :

[nicblais] /dev> ll da*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 148 Oct  2 13:53 da0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 149 Oct  2 13:53 da0s1

Although I can mount it fine as root, I have to chmod 777 to make it work for
other users.

[nicblais] /dev# chmod 777 da0*
[nicblais] /dev# ll da*
crwxrwxrwx  1 root  operator    0, 148 Oct  2 13:53 da0*
crwxrwxrwx  1 root  operator    0, 149 Oct  2 13:53 da0s1*

I'm assuming it would work if I left the usb drive plugged in while booting
but that kinda defeats the purpose of a portable storage media.
Is my entry in /etc/devfs.conf not correct?

Any help appreciated,
Nicolas.
--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct  1 11:51:38 EDT 2005
root at clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A