FreeBSD + Firefox + Flash Problems

Vladimir Tsvetkov npacemo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 07:31:42 PDT 2005

I did everything like it was described in the how-to's about
installing plugins for native Firefox on FreeBSD. I use FreeBSD 4.9
Release, which at this moment is unsupported.

1. Install firefox:
# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox ; make install clean

2. Install linuxpluginwrapper:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
# make WITHOUT_PLUGINS=yes install clean

I use WITHOUT_PLUGINS=yes, because I don't need acroread7 - I have
acroread5 and it perfectly fits my needs.
I got the following message:

Please enable libmap.conf(5) feature for rtld(1).
4-stable user:
        You can get a following patch.
        http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/libmap_4stable.diff
   Please apply on /usr/src and make install on /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf:
   # cd /usr/src ; patch -p0 < /tmp/libmap_4stable.diff
   # cd libexec/rtld-elf ; make clean all install
5.1-RELEASE user:
        Please see /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/Makefile.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper.

3. Patching:
I've downloaded the patch:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/libmap_4stable.diff and than I tried
to apply it:
# cd /usr/src ; patch -p0 < /tmp/libmap_4stable.diff

I got the following message:
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -urN libexec/rtld-elf.old/Makefile libexec/rtld-elf/Makefile
|--- libexec/rtld-elf.old/Makefile      Sun Jun 23 06:32:35 2002
|+++ libexec/rtld-elf/Makefile  Wed Oct  8 02:50:10 2003
--------------------------
File to patch:

Obviously, I don't have /usr/src/libexec sources installed.

4. Install the libexec sources:
I put the FreeBSD 4.9 Release installation CD in the CD-ROM.
# /stand/sysinstall
Configure->Distributions->src->libexec

5. Patch again:
# cd /usr/src ; patch -p0 < /tmp/libmap_4stable.diff
# cd libexec/rtld-elf ; make clean all install

This now works.

6. Another try to install linuxpluginwrapper:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
# make WITHOUT_PLUGINS=yes install clean

No problems at all.

7. Install linux-flashplugin6:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin6
# make install clean

No problems at all.

8. Editing /etc/libmap.conf:
# /etc/libmap.conf for FreeBSD 4.x

# Flash6 with Mozilla Firefox
[/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0             pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libdl.so.2                  pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1                   libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3    libstdc++.so.3
libm.so.6                   libm.so.2
libc.so.6                   pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Acrobat5 with Mozilla Firefox
[/usr/X11R6/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so]
libc.so.6                   pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

# Helix RealPlayer with Mozilla Firefox
[/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so]
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3    libstdc++.so.3
libc.so.6                   pluginwrapper/realplayer.so

I've checked every single Shared Object that is listed in my /etc/libmap.conf.

But there are no indications at all, that Firefox is using the
installed plugins. Still Firefox continues to inform me about missing
plugins.
I tried also, to configure Konqueror (3.1.4) to use the new plugins:
Settings->Configure Konqueror..->Plugins->Scan for new plugins
And I got the following error message:

"The nspluginscan executable cannot be found. Netscape plugins will
not be scanned."

I searched the web for this problem and I found this on the
freebsd-questions maillist:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-July/053298.html

>You have to compile /usr/ports/x11/kdebase3 with motif support. Run
>'make config' to change that option, then recompile and install it.

I tried this, but the message above is outdated (Thu Jul 22 02:13:13
PDT 2004). Currently in the configuration of the kdebase3 port there
is only one option:

[X] Suid wrapper for aRts, req'd for realtime prio

I am aware that the version of FreeBSD that I use is no longer
supported, but is there any way to workaround the necessity of moving
to 4Stable, and to get a working plugins for the Firefox browser?

Best Regards,
Vladimir Tsvetkov