Defragmentation needed with FreeBSD ...

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 06:11:26 PDT 2005

On 10/2/05, Tamouh H. <hakmi at rogers.com> wrote:

> > I was just wondering if like in Windows disk fragmentation
> > arises, and if so then how should one go about defragmenting it?
>
> There is no fragmentation in the BSD file systems, that is something related
> to Windows only. You might want to add the line:
>
> fsck_y_enable="YES"
>
> to your /etc/rc.conf  in the event fsck finds errors on your disks.

Of course there is fragmentation.

UFS, particularly its implementation in FreeBSD is
more intelligent than NTFS/FAT32. When there is
enough free space on the disk (typically more than
15%, see tunefs(8) for details), I/O is automatically
optimized to minimize fragmentation.

When your win32 box is idle, but the hdd is scratching
it's very annoying, because you know that windows
is swapping something.

When your bsd box is idle, but the hdd is scratching
it's quite pleasant, 'cuz that's some hard-working
daemons make sure that you don't loose any data,
and always can enjoy the maximum performance.