buildworld

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sat Oct 1 14:21:43 PDT 2005

Radek Válko <RValko at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm little bit new in FreeBSD and I would like to know more about
> buildworld process. I really tryed to find this information but I
> wasn't successful. My question is what everything is exactly build
> during this process.

The entire base OS, excepting the kernel and kernel modules.

> For examle if I have minimal installation of
> FREEBSD 5.2.1 and I will synchronize my source tree to 5-stable and
> then do make buildworld what happend?

Same answer.

AFAIK, the best doc of this is the top of /usr/src/Makefile.

> Is the new system again only
> minimal or full installation?

I suppose that you're using the language of the installer and I'm
sorry to say I'm unsure what that means, unless it's referring to
installing more or fewer packages (or ports), and "make buildworld"
has nothing to do with those.

But you CAN build and install more or less than the "base OS", by
using a custom /etc/make.conf, for instance, using NO_SENDMAIL; see
/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and make.conf(5) manpage.