Eclipse unusably slow

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sat Oct 1 12:58:25 PDT 2005

I just tried Eclipse for the first time on FreeBSD.  When I type eclipse
at the command prompt it takes 3-4 minutes to start (my computer boots
quicker than that!).  Looking at systat or top shows that java is taking
all my processor time.  After it's up and running and I start a new java
project, the editor exhibits similar behaviow.  I try to type
"System.out.println("hello eclipse");", but the editor will freeze at
"Sys".  After 1 or 2 minutes it unfreezes and I can type "tem." before
it freezes again.  At first I thought it was the check errors as you
type option, but turning that off didn't fix the editor, and that
shouldn't affect the startup time.  This is an Athlon 64 3000+ system
running in i386 mode, so it shouldn't take that long.

Vital stats: eclipse-3.1_3, jdk-1.4.2p7_1, 5.4-RELEASE-p7 i386

Any clues?

Thanks,
Micah