Setting up mime-types globaly ...

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Oct 1 05:36:52 PDT 2005

Kiffin Gish <kiffin at gish.demon.nl> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> >Kiffin Gish <kiffin at gish.demon.nl> writes:
> >

> >>What do I have to do to make sure that clicking on links fire up the
> >>correct applications. For example:
> >>
> >>http -> firefox
> >>mailto ->  thunderbird
> >>pls -> xmms
> >>
> >>If from thunderbird I click on a http-link nothing happens, etc.
> >>
> >>For some strange reason this stopped working for me all of a sudden.
> >>

> >Since it changed in more than one application, the first guess would
> >be a damaged mailcap file.

> Meaning? Where is this mailcap file then? How can I repair it?

~/.mailcap, normally, and your applications would have done the setup
for it.  You may need to consult the application documentation to get
everything they expect, but for a start, try adding (or fixing) an
entry like:
text/html; firefox %s
and if that helps, you can look for other types not being handled.