CUPS, Foomatic, and HPIJS?

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 02:16:48 PDT 2005

On 10/1/05, Eric Pretorious <epretorious at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Subject: Re: CUPS, Foomatic, and HPIJS?
> >Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:27:51 -0600
> >
> >Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> >Can I just say that moving back to Gentoo because of a "steep learning
> >curve" is no just ironic, but down right funny.  :-)
>
> Installing CUPS/HPIJS was as easy as...
>
> %> emerge cups ghostscript hpijs
>
> Portage automatically retrieves, compiles, and installs CUPS, GhostScript,
> the complete Foomatic configurator, HPIJS, etc., etc. and
> _integrates_them_all_. i.e., All of the HPIJS drivers/filters and Foomatic
> drivers/filters are *already* present in the web-based CUPS interface.
>
> Now *that* is what I call a relatively-flat learning curve!!!

Hey, I'm glad that you find gentoo a more convenient
environment, but here's my story.

I've been with FreeBSD since 4.9 and use it on my
desktop at home, but I also have some experience
with Linux (starting with Red Hat 6.x and ksi-linux,
and up to now - I use RHEL and FC3/4 on some
servers, and Debian on my desktop at work).

So one day a couple of weeks ago I decided to try
the so much praised Gentoo on an athlon64 box at
home. First I tried to make it through without any
prior reading. But I was surprised at the fact that
one of the most popular distro doesn't have a
visually guided installation. Ok, I downloaded and
printed your handbook (or what was it called) - and
read it from the top to the bottom. That took me a
while, all right.

Now, with some distro-specific knowledge, I tried
my luck again - only to find that at one point
the installation fails to start X.org in order to
continue :-)

I won't dive into all the detail, but I somehow got
all I needed to know about Gentoo in one night,
and I hope that my humble being will never
stumble upon this OS once again :-)

Cheerz,
Andrew P.