Problem with aclocal when trying to install phppgadmin from port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 20:11:51 GMT 2005

Chris McCormick wrote:
> Hello all,
>   I am still somewhat of a newbie with FreeBSD, so feel free to direct me to
> any better resources, or a better place to ask this question.
>
>   I had to to a pkg_delete on phppgadmin, as I was re-installing mysql.
> After that, I pulled down a newer version of phppgadmin and tried to install
> it. I got the follwoing output:

Errr... Perhaps you might find phpMyAdmin works better with mysql.  Or
conversely that postgresql works better with phpPgAdmin.

> www# pwd
> /usr/ports/databases/phppgadmin
> www# make install
> ===>  Installing for phppgadmin-4.0
> ===>   phppgadmin-4.0 depends on file: /usr/local/include/php/main/php.h -
> found
> ===>   phppgadmin-4.0 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pgsql.so
> - not found
> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pgsql.so in
> /usr/ports/databases/php4-pgsql
> ===>   php4-pgsql-4.4.1_2 depends on executable: phpize - found
> ===>   php4-pgsql-4.4.1_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/autoconf259 -
> found
> ===>   php4-pgsql-4.4.1_2 depends on shared library: pq.3 - found
> ===>  PHPizing for php4-pgsql-4.4.1_2
> aclocal: not found
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/php4-pgsql.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/phppgadmin.
> www#

aclocal is part of the automake port -- or rather, it's part of /one/ of the
automake ports.  There are at least three versions of automake in ports, and
they've been modified so that the different versions can all be installed
simultaneously.  Similarly for autoconf.  Thats because there are incompatible
changes between different versions of the Gnu autotools, and software using the
Gnu configure system can't be upgraded to use a more recent version of them
without quite a lot of work.  So those upgrades tend not to happen.

Anyhow, for the ports to work using autotools, you need to install automake, etc
from the ports.  Usually that will happen automatically, but if you've installed,
say, automake directly from the Gnu tarball without reference to ports, it can
cause problems.  The program names will be tagged with the version numbers.

Also, as aclocal and automake are perl scripts, and as they have formerly been
infamous for causing mayhem by including the perl version number into themselves,
you may have needed to re-install the automake ports after upgrading perl.  That
bug was squashed relatively recently, so this might still apply to your system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard