fstat can't..

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Wed Nov 30 04:35:02 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:27:59PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> in NetBSD i've used fstat like this
>
> fstat <file>
>
> and it showed me what process uses that file.
>
> with FreeBSD 6.0 manual says it can be used that way, but it ALWAYS gives
> empty output for normal files, while works fine for /dev/* pseudofiles.
> both as user and root

Perhaps the process isn't using the file? It works fine for stuff in
/var/log, eg:

osiris-log,5:33pm> fstat maillog
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME
root     syslogd      342   15 /var      94371 -rw-r-----  7437461 w  maillog

Just as I expect.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>