Waaaaay OT, sorry.

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue Nov 29 06:15:13 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 22:05,  the author Gary Kline contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Waaaaay OT, sorry.:

>	Folks,
>
>	This is one of my more obscure questions and involves scanning
>	not paper but something they used to store books, magazines,
>	and newspapers--before the computer age.  It is called a
>	microfiche (or fiche).  A friend got a copy of a rare
>	out-of-print, not-for-sale book on microfiche.  We're looking
>	for some means of scanning this film into a scanner with
>	OCR.  So far, he has tried a camera with 8G memory.  No joy,
>	the scanner sees garbage.  Anybody out there ever have anything
>	like this prob?  The book is from 1913 so it is well in the
>	public domain.  I've already written Google; zero response.
>
>	I want to get this book up on my site, fully HTML it so that
>	everybody has the opportunity to ready it ... .
>
>	thanks for any insights,
>
>	gary

Its a long time since I have handled microfiche but my guess is you will need
to mount your camera onto a  microfiche reader or a microscope. The
resolution of a microfiche image is really high - far higher than the camera
you are using so I think you may need something to enlarge the image for you
to photograph.

my two pennorth

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.