_dhcp user problems

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:32:56 GMT 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> During the upgrade to 6.0, I may have created the user _dhcp
>> incorrectly. I was made aware of the problem when I noticed the
>> message during boot:
>>
>> Setting hostname: ast.home.iq.
>> rl0: link state changed to DOWN
>> rl0: no link ....rl0: link state changed to UP
>> got link
>> no such user: _dhcp, falling back to nobody
>> DHCPREQUEST on rl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
>> DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
>> bound to 192.168.0.4 -- renewal in 129600 seconds.
>>
>> So, as root, I tried to create them and delete them. This is proving
>> unsuccessful. See below.
>>
>> ast# pw userdel _dhcp
>> pw: no such user `_dhcp'
>> ast# pw useradd _dhcp -u 65 -c "dhcp programs" -d /var/empty -s /usr/
>> sbin/nologin
>> pw: user '_dhcp' already exists
>>
>> Are there any recommendations? I am running FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE. Some
>> additional information is below. Thank you so much for your
>> assistance. I checked the mailing list as well as Google and did not
>> find a fix for this particular problem. I found someone mentioning
>> that the database may need to be rebuilt (however I have no idea how
>> to do this).
>>
>> ast# cat master.passwd | grep dhcp
>> _dhcp:*:65:65::0:0:dhcp programs:/var/empty:/usr/sbin/nologin
>> ast# cat passwd | grep dhcp
>> _dhcp:*:65:65:dhcp programs:/var/empty:/usr/sbin/nologin
>> ast# cat group | grep dhcp
>> _dhcp:*:65:
>> ast# uname -a
>> FreeBSD ast.home.iq 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Sat Nov  5
>> 21:29:34 EST 2005     root at ast.home.iq:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IQKERNEL
>> i386
>
> pwd_mkdb(8)?

Hello and thank you for your reply. I tried the following and here is
where it got me:

ast# pwd_mkdb -u _dhcp /etc/master.passwd
ast# pwd_mkdb -u _dhcp /etc/passwd
pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #3
pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
ast# pwd_mkdb -u -p _dhcp /etc/passwd
usage: pwd_mkdb [-BCiLNp] [-d directory] [-s cachesize] [-u username]
file
ast# pwd_mkdb -p -u _dhcp /etc/passwd
pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #3
pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
ast# pw userdel _dhcp
pw: no such user `_dhcp'
ast# pw useradd _dhcp -u 65 -c "dhcp programs" -d /var/empty -s /usr/
sbin/nologin
pw: user '_dhcp' already exists

Should I be doing something else? How can I wipe the slate clean with
users, groups, and accounts? I tried going through sysinstall and
when I try to add _dhcp as a user, it gives me an error code (The
`pw' command exited with unexpected status 74) after it mentions that
the requested shell "/usr/sbin/nologin" is not a valid user shell.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.