nvidia-driver weirdness

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Mon Nov 28 14:47:22 GMT 2005

On 11/27/05 10:37 PM, Remington sat at the `puter and typed:
> FreeBSD  6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #1: Sat Nov 26 23:19:14 PST
> 2005     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MACHINE  i386
>
> nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1
> All ports current as of a few hours ago. No special make flags.
>
> Im sure this is a repeat post or I'm missing something stupid. Xorg
> keeps randlonly locking and hard rebooting my machine when the nvidia
> xorg driver is loaded. It can keep running for a few minutes, or take a
> few hours before the lockup can occur.
>
> I have commented out device agp out of my kernel config, and likewise
> kept it in there, both with no luck. I've also tried NvAGP set to both
> 1, and 2 with no luck
>
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "NVIDIA"
>         BoardName   "Geforce 6800 GT"
>         Option      "NvAGP" "2"
>         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>
> Any assitance would be great, after an extensive google search I got
> nothing.

Is this an upgrade, or a new install of 6.0?  Many of the threads I've
read regarding the Nvidia driver with 6.0 suggested that the Nvidia
driver be rebuilt after the 6.0 upgrade.  In fact, I believe rebuilding
all ports was recommended, which is why I've decided to invest in a
second hard drive to do a new install.

I don't know if it will help, but my own config is pretty much the
same - with a couple extras to omit the logo splash, accelerate
rendering, etc.  Of course, I'm still running 5.4.

Try rebuilding the driver from ports - that's probably your best bet.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Nusbaum's Rule:
  The more pretentious the corporate name, the smaller the organization.
  (For instance, the Murphy Center for the Codification of Human and
  Organizational Law, contrasted to IBM, GM, and AT&T.)