missing $libdir in/for postgis?

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Sun Nov 27 22:22:51 GMT 2005

I'm sure this is a really lamo question but...

I'm trying to get the postgis port up (which it has installed with
postgresql81 just fine so far) and when I went to add the spatial caps to a
simple database using the script lwpostgis.sql, I got the following:

test=# \i lwpostgis.sql
BEGIN
psql:lwpostgis.sql:35: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:35: ERROR:  could not access file
"$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1": No such file or directory
...blah, blah, blah...
psql:lwpostgis.sql:3149: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
ignored until end of transaction block
ROLLBACK
test=#

I thought to myself, "odd", but no big deal. I thought I should verify the
file "liblwgeom.so.1" is in the /usr/local/lib dir. It is.

$ ls /usr/local/lib/liblw*
/usr/local/lib/liblwgeom.so     /usr/local/lib/liblwgeom.so.1
$

The $libdir isn't assigned to anything becuase I didn't see anything when I
typed the command:

$ echo $libdir

$

So should I simply set this variable in one of my login scripts (.cshrc,
.bshrc,.shrc, .login) or is this something that should be (have been) set
somewhere else?

I'm installing the latest port on FreeBSD 6.0 amd64.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD bobby.forestinformatics.com 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #2: Sun
Nov 27 14:07:55 PST 2005
hamannj at bobby.forestinformatics.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
$

Jeff.