Newbie Q: freeBSD vs openBSD

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Sun Nov 27 14:26:49 GMT 2005

At 08:14 AM 11/27/2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On 2005-11-27 11:55, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
> >> Newbie for freeBSD. One question freeBSD vs openBSD...what's the
> >> difference...security...support....development stage...other pros &
> >> cons for each.
> >
> > People say that OpenBSD is the most secure.
> > I say i would be as secure as it's system administrator.
> >
> > If we talk about performance, i agree with most people's opinion :)
>
>Very, uhm, 'diplomatic' way to put it :P
>
>To the original poster:
>This is a question that pops up very frequently.  One of the most rational
>
>     ``They both have strong and weak points.  They both have some good
>     and exciting features.  They both provide an extensive toolset
>     around a base UNIX core system, and a configurable, extensible,
>     documented way to install third-party software.  To see which one of
>     these two fits your needs, you'll probably have to try them both and
>     see how things work out.''
>
>You can also search the archives of this list, as there are dozens of
>threads around this topic and similar ones, i.e. "NetBSD vs. FreeBSD
>vs. OpenBSD vs. Linux vs. some other OS".

One thing that comes to mind...If you like to play and build custom
kernels...then FreeBSD is for you. If you build a custom kernel under
OpenBSD...don't dare ask for any help from anyone.

it seems the OpenBSD group doesn't actually like questions. You can
get flamed for the best worded question. Under FreeBSD, the community
is more open to ideas and people trying things.

In addition...some parts of the core of OpenBSD cannot easily be
upgraded w/o issues. (Like openSSL for example)...and if you try and
fail and ask for help....well read above again !

Both OSs are fine. They are only as 'secure' as the admin makes them.
As far as performance and device support - see if your hardware
item(s) is supported with one OS vs the other.

I chose FreeBSD since my hardware is better 'seen' by this OS and
that this group is open to discussions - it seems sometimes,  we are
encouraged to play with this OS....

YMMV.

-JD