Newbie Q: freeBSD vs openBSD

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Nov 27 14:15:07 GMT 2005

On 2005-11-27 11:55, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
>> Newbie for freeBSD. One question freeBSD vs openBSD...what's the
>> difference...security...support....development stage...other pros &
>> cons for each.
>
> People say that OpenBSD is the most secure.
> I say i would be as secure as it's system administrator.
>
> If we talk about performance, i agree with most people's opinion :)

Very, uhm, 'diplomatic' way to put it :P

To the original poster:
This is a question that pops up very frequently.  One of the most rational

    ``They both have strong and weak points.  They both have some good
    and exciting features.  They both provide an extensive toolset
    around a base UNIX core system, and a configurable, extensible,
    documented way to install third-party software.  To see which one of
    these two fits your needs, you'll probably have to try them both and
    see how things work out.''

You can also search the archives of this list, as there are dozens of
threads around this topic and similar ones, i.e. "NetBSD vs. FreeBSD
vs. OpenBSD vs. Linux vs. some other OS".