GNOME+NetBSD based X-terminal

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net
Sun Nov 27 11:49:22 GMT 2005

sorry for cross-posting, or exactly reposting after getting no answer,
it's not exactly FreeBSD-related but if anyone know, please give me a
clue.

i'm not GNOME expert, to be exact - i don't use it privately at all, but
i have to configure it for others.

the problem:

first - system(s) configuration:

1) host machine running NetBSD, or FreeBSD or linux (no matter, same effects)
with GNOME version 2.<=10 (all version give same effects), running gdm for
remote displays. no X local display.

2) X-terminals which are super-cut version of NetBSD 1.5.3+statically compiled
X server that runs with -query to host machine 1). No fonts, uses font server
on 1) too.

such configuration works perfect if i use fvwm2 and icewm and twm, using
both gdm and xdm for logging in.

it works perfect too if after using fvwm2 or icewm i will log out and THEN log
on into gnome desktop.

BUT - if i log on into gnome desktop at first time (after X server started) it
crashes after a short while - before displaying any progress, or quickly after
displaying gnome startup window.

X crashes without first putting anything to it's log.

problem is at first login after X server start, NOT X terminal's NetBSD start.
if i would press CTRL-ALT-Backspace so X server will exit and (by script on
terminal) restart, it works as first start.

could anyone help me how to find a problem at all. i just have no idea where to
search!

after this: my X terminals have no problem handling any apps, with and without
gnome. i'm actually using them in many places for many uses - no problems.