Instructions for upgrading?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Nov 26 21:04:45 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 20:16, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> where can i find simple instructions for upgrading to
> a new major
> version? im running 4.10 right now and want to change
> to 6.0--why not? heh--but the installation page in the
> handbook just talks about doing it from
> scratch. and the entire "upgrade' section of the 6.0
> release notes just says
> "Source upgrades to FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE are only
> supported from FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE or later. Users of
> older systems wanting to upgrade 6.0-RELEASE will need
> to update to FreeBSD 5.3 or newer first, then to
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE. Important: Upgrading FreeBSD
> should, of course, only be attempted after backing up
> all data and configuration files." but doesnt say how
> to really do it.
>
> same with the 5.x release notes. im willing to do this
> in two step, from 4.10 to 5.4 and then to 6.0, if that
> is neccessary.

It's covered in chapter 20 of the handbook. Unfortunately it's under the
rather misleading title "The Cutting Edge", because it's written in terms of
tracking current/stable.  Upgrading to 5.4 and 6.0 is just the same, but with
RELENG_5_4 and RELENG_6_0 as the release tags.  You should also look at the
chapter on building the kernel, which gives more detail on that part of the
process.

You should disable any drivers in loader.conf that are built out of ports (eg
nvidia). After the upgrade is done you will have to rebuild your ports or
replace everything from packages.