Yesterday's -STABLE kernel corrupts LAN

matt . fasterdisco at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 20:45:06 GMT 2005

Wow I must be missing something here on a very basic, fundamental level.

I run FreeBSD-RELEASE on a production box.  I have my reservations but it
was the only release that supported my RAID controller, so I had no choice
(or buy a $300 raid card that was supported).  Anyway it works fine so far
(knock heavily and repeatedly on huge pieces of wood).

I've read the FreeBSD notes regarding the differences between STABLE,
CURRENT and RELEASE.  So uh, what is supposed to be run on a production
box?  In plain sight on the FreeBSD site it says "Latest production release"
which is 6.0-RELEASE...are we only supposed to run RELEASE on production
systems or are we supposed to run STABLE?  Seems to me it's
counter-intuitive to call something STABLE and not have it meant for
production.  My head hurts.

matt