FreeBSD on a Compaq Presario R4125

NuclearDog speltex at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 00:45:39 GMT 2005

(Sent once already. Trying one more time.)

I have been trying to get FreeBSD installed on my Compaq Presario
R4125 for a while now. I have tried:

 - FreeBSD 5.2.1 (i386)
 - FreeBSD 5.3 (i386)
 - FreeBSD 5.4 (i386)
 - FreeBSD 6.0 (i386)
 - FreeBSD 6.0 (amd64)

I have tried safe mode, and booting with ACPI disabled. I have tried
setting hint.atkbd.0.flags to 0x1, 0x8 and 0x9. I have tried booting
with:

hw.acpi.skip_timer_override="1"
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x9"

And it still hangs.

It hangs immediately upon selecting an option from the boot loader,
except escaping to the boot prompt. Attempting that will cause it to
hang after typing 'boot'.

To clarify, by 'hang' I mean the little spinner spins maybe two times
then stops on '-' and the computer quits responding.

Any help at all is appreciated,
- ND