FreeBSD network install using PXEGrub

Steve Finkelstein stevefink at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 17:57:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have successfully implemented a solution to install FreeBSD over the
network using pxeboot and Alfred's guide on;

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html

I'm trying to take this further one step by allowing the installation
of various supported operating systems over the network using pxegrub.
 I was wondering if anyone was successful using
dhcp+tftp+pxegrub/nbgrub to successfully bootstrap a FreeBSD system?

My issue originally declares itself once trying to chainload another bootloader,

  Booting 'FreeBSD 4.11 PXE'

                                                    kernel
/tftpboot/boot/loader

                                             Error 24: Attempt to
access block outside partition

                               Press any key to continue...

my dhcp options look okay,

##For PXE BSD 4.11 get it from pxe1
next-server x.x.x.x ;
option root-path "x.x.x.x:/usr/local/export/pxe";
filename "grub/pxegrub";
}

My apologies ahead of time if this is better suited on a Grub mailing
list;  I was hoping some of the experts here have also simulated a
similar solution.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Best,

--