how do I feed a script conf file variables on the command line ?

user user at dhp.com
Fri Nov 25 07:11:37 GMT 2005

Ok, let's say I have a shell script named script.sh, and script.sh sucks
in a file /etc/file.conf that contains nothing but variable declarations
like:

SETTING1=setting1
SETTING2=setting2

and so on.  Very simple.

My question is, what if I want to feed the script a setting on the command
line ?

Normally I run the script:

script.sh -x -v -e -r

and it looks for /etc/file.conf and sucks in all the variables.

But I want to:

script.sh -x -v -e -r SETTING1='setting1'

for some reason this is not working.  I am in the FreeBSD csh shell when I
attempt this (FWIW).

I just want to be able to quickly bypass the conf file, using a single
command line.

Thanks.