doubts

David Scheidt dscheidt at panix.com
Fri Nov 25 05:12:05 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:08:15AM +0530, Anirban Adhikary wrote:
> Hi guys. This is Anirban. I have a doubt on crontab.The question is
>
> how to write a crontabwhich takes the back-up at 11:59 pm daily and every tuesday of the week
> Hope i will receive the answer soon.

I don't quite understand what you want.  The format of a line in a
crontab file is as follows.  There are five columns that specify the
time to run the job at:

Minutes  Hours  Day of Month   Month  Day of week

59       23          *          *      *           /path/to/script

Would run /path/to/script every day at 11:59 pm.  If what you want to
do is only run it on tuesday,

59     23		*  *  2   /path/to/script

The utility to install crontabs is called crontab.  The format of
entries is defined in the crontab(5) man page.  'man 5 crontab' will
allow you to read that.