mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Nov 25 01:43:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:16:49PM -0800, Ron wrote:
> I went to upgrade mysql from 4.1 to 5.0.  I updated my ports (no problems),
> but when I ran:
>
> pkg_add -r mysql50-server
>
> I get:
>
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/mysql50-server.tbz: File unavailable
>
> I looked at the ftp site, and there is a 5.4 directory, but not one for
> 5.3.
> So, I assume I need to upgrade to FreeBSD 5.4 before installing this port.
> Is that correct?

No, you can just compile it yourself using ports (although the ports
collection also doesn't support 5.3 any longer, most things will still
work).  Using packages with pkg_add -r is an *alternative* to
compiling yourself using the ports system, and there's no point in
updating your ports collection if you're not going to use it.

Kris