Configuring For Cache Name Server

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Nov 24 17:46:32 GMT 2005

If I understand this correctly, if I want to enable a cache name server,
all I have to do is the following:

In /etc/rc.conf enter:
named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind"

Run this command:
# cd /etc/namedb
# sh make-localhost

I enter the address: 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/resolv.conf file ahead of any
other entries.

I do not have to modify the /etc/namedb/named.conf in any way.

I can then either reboot or start the program manually.

Have I gotten that all correct?

OK, then why is it that the nameserver 127.0.0.1 gets removed on every
reboot of the system and the nameservers of my ISP are inserted.
Actually, I never removed them, I just placed the new one ahead of them.
There is also a search entry in the file. If I remove it, it also gets
rewritten upon boot-up. Maybe I should mention that I am employing DHCP
presently to obtain a lease from my ISP. Is there something I need to
alter in order to get this to work. If I cannot be done, it is no great
lose however. I can live with the system the way it is.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net