How the heck do you burn a VCD?

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:21:22 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 21:56, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 11/23/05 09:35 PM, Michael C. Shultz sat at the `puter and typed:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2005 21:20, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > > Hey folks.  This may be slightly OT, but I just downloaded the
> > > StarWreck spoof (http://www.starwreck.com), and I'd like to get it
> > > burned to a VCD.  It's in xvid/avi format, and I'm not sure what's the
> > > best way to burn this.  with the following:
> > >
> > > burncd -f /dev/acd1 -d vcd
> > > star_wreck_in_the_pirkinning_subtitled_xvid.avi
> > >
> > > but it doesn't seem to play anywhere - not even my FreeBSD box - which
> > > is the only machine I can get the avi file to play in the first place
> > > (MacOs X & Windoze won't play it).  How's that for FreeBSD being a
> > > better multimedia box?
> > >
> > > I have checked the disk, and it *does* appear to have been burned - so
> > > this is a coaster now.  I'm guessing I just didn't understand the
> > > burncd manpage in regards to vcd burning.  I also couldn't find
> > > anything but 'doze and MacOs X commercial software ads on google, even
> > > though I required either "FreeBSD" or "Linux" in my search.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'm really a newbie with this vcd stuff, so a little leg up
> > > would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Lou
> >
> > Look in the handbook under opticle drives on how to make ISO's
>
> What, really?  I haven't been able to find any indication that the VCD
> format was nothing more than an xvid AVI file in an iso filesystem.

VCD format isn't xvid.  For the most part, anything you burn to a DVD or
CD should be done as an ISO file, especially if you want the CD to
work with other OS's or DVD players :)

> Figures it would be so painfully simple - that'll play on my DVD
> player?

Depends on your DVD player and the codecs used for the VCD. If
its encoded right it should, if not then start learning mencoder and the
art of re-encoding. Mencoder comes with mplayer and you should find a mail
list that caters to that sort of thing if your interested.

> Thanks for the pointer.

Your welcome :)

-Mike