How the heck do you burn a VCD?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Thu Nov 24 06:00:11 GMT 2005

On 11/23/05 09:35 PM, Michael C. Shultz sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 21:20, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > Hey folks.  This may be slightly OT, but I just downloaded the
> > StarWreck spoof (http://www.starwreck.com), and I'd like to get it
> > burned to a VCD.  It's in xvid/avi format, and I'm not sure what's the
> > best way to burn this.  with the following:
> >
> > burncd -f /dev/acd1 -d vcd star_wreck_in_the_pirkinning_subtitled_xvid.avi
> >
> > but it doesn't seem to play anywhere - not even my FreeBSD box - which
> > is the only machine I can get the avi file to play in the first place
> > (MacOs X & Windoze won't play it).  How's that for FreeBSD being a
> > better multimedia box?
> >
> > I have checked the disk, and it *does* appear to have been burned - so
> > this is a coaster now.  I'm guessing I just didn't understand the
> > burncd manpage in regards to vcd burning.  I also couldn't find
> > anything but 'doze and MacOs X commercial software ads on google, even
> > though I required either "FreeBSD" or "Linux" in my search.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm really a newbie with this vcd stuff, so a little leg up
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > TIA
> > Lou
>
> Look in the handbook under opticle drives on how to make ISO's

What, really?  I haven't been able to find any indication that the VCD
format was nothing more than an xvid AVI file in an iso filesystem.

Figures it would be so painfully simple - that'll play on my DVD
player?

Thanks for the pointer.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

The lovely woman-child Kaa was mercilessly chained to the cruel post of
the warrior-chief Beast, with his barbarian tribe now stacking wood at
her nubile feet, when the strong clear voice of the poetic and heroic
Handsomas roared, 'Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my
steel through your last meal!'
    -- Winning sentence, 1984 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.