FreeBSD 6.0 GENERIC Kernel perfomance

Dmytro Surovtsev sd at buc.com.ua
Wed Nov 23 09:24:43 GMT 2005

I was not really honest: I did compiled the kernel without -g option.
Nothing different. The only thing that looks like help was compile
without PREEMPTIVE option. I'm sorry very much for FreeBSD that I like
many years. I do not think that racing for issuing the new RELEASE (so
called in this case) in proper time costs the reliability and robustness
   we all appreciated all theese years.

SD

Kris Kennaway wrote:

 >>It's only your own opinion until you share with us the measurements
 >>that led you to conclude this.  FreeBSD 6.0 is much faster than
 >>FreeBSD 5.4 in my measurements, especially in the area of filesystem
 >>performance.

"The

 >>This is not a FreeBSD 6.0 problem, it indicates that you aren't
 >>upgrading your ports properly.
 >>
 >>Look into the portupgrade tool, and if you have specific problems with
 >>using it, then post specific questions.
 >>
 >>Kris

Dmytro,

The stock Generic Kernel for 6.0-Release has debugging features which
according to the kernel developement team where left in during release.

Try to recompile the Generic Kernel with the option debug -g commented
out and see if that helps with the speed issues you have encountered.

Thanks,

Russell