Accessing samba shares without password prompts

Bernhard Fischer bernhard.fischer at fh-stpoelten.ac.at
Wed Nov 23 07:43:55 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 02:36, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can someone point me to info on how to access shares on the netowrk
> without having to provide the password. I am logged in to my FreeBSD 6.0
> workstation with the user name and password equal to that of a user on
> the other samba servers and Windows.

I'm not sure if it also applies to FreeBSD but under Linux  you can specify
the following mount options in /etc/fstab to a samba share:
credentials=/etc/samba/credentials

It points to a file (/etc/samba/credentials) which contains username and
password in the format

username = someuser
password = somepass

The file should only be readable by root.

Regards,
bh