Error Message on Boot

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Wed Nov 23 04:55:51 GMT 2005

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 5.4, I receive this error message while booting up:
>
> Updating KDM configuration
>
> Information: reading old kdmrc /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (from kde
>
>> = 2.2.x) Information: old kdmrc is from kde >= 3.1 (config version 2.3)
>

> This message appears everytime I boot. I have the latest version of KDE
> installed. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Been having this message too, but since it's a non-critical issue I
haven't looked at it until now.

The message comes from running "genkdmconf" to update your KDM
configuration.  The latest KDE has installed
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/genkdmconf.sh which runs the "real" genkdmconf in
update mode every time you boot.  I'm not exactly sure why this is
necessary, since the files really only need to be updated if/when you've
changed your configuration or upgraded KDE.  If the messages bother you,
move (or remove) genkdmconf.sh from rc.d.  Personally, since I now know
the messages' origin I'll just ignore them.

Later,
Micah