How To Monitor Disk Errors?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Nov 23 02:05:26 GMT 2005

I have an old machine running 4.11.  It died sometime last night from
what I think was a disk problem.  The machine was still running and
still passing packets (it is my firewall) but I could not log in via the
console, ssh, or telnet.  I powered the machine off/on and heard the
"click of death" coming from one of the internal IDE drives.  By some
miracle, the machine did finally boot and is running again.

I'm sure I'm on borrowed time here.  However I would like to find some
way to monitor drive errors so I know which drive is failing so replace
the correct drive.  I have two in the machine.  I've checked
/var/log/messages but see no entries there regarding the drive.  Is
there some utility that will let me see the current number of errors
since boot?

Thanks,

Drew

--