Sharing filesystems between FreeBSD and Windows ...

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 22 15:08:21 GMT 2005

On November 22, 2005 09:59 am, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> I have a home network running 3 desktop machines with Windows XP Pro,
> and a webserver, fileserver and laptop with FreeBSD 5.x.
>
> What's the best way to be able to exchange files and directory shares
> between the two environments?
>
> It would also be nice to share the printer which is connected to one of
> the Windows boxes via USB.
>
> I hear that Samba is the way to go, but also have heard about such
> client-based utilities like Sharity-light which also do the trick.
>
> Thanks alot in advance.

I use samba+cups at home.  My situation is similar, except my printer is
connected to one of my FreeBSD machines.  The hardest part of linking FreeBSD
with Windows isn't the getting the shares to work, but the printers to work,
and I found it easier to have the printer on FreeBSD and have Windows write
to it using real drivers (cups in RAW mode).

Actually, it's not as hard at is seems.  Here's what I put in my smb.conf to
make the printer work:

printing = cups
load printers = yes

[printers]
path = /var/spool/samba
use client driver = Yes
printable = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no

You'll find a lot of help in the Samba documentation and cups is also well
documented.

Nicolas.

--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Nov 19 12:36:29 EST 2005
root at clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A