How to access filesystem on 2nd disk ...

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:57:28 GMT 2005

> I installed freeBSD 5.4 on a system with two hard disks, which I plan to
> use as a dedicated fileserver, and following the default sysinstall
> setup I have this:
>
> root at fileserver# df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    248M     35M    193M    15%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad0s1e    248M     12K    228M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1f     35G    573M     31G     2%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1d    248M    1.4M    226M     1%    /var
>
> I have three questions:
>
> 1/ What's the best way to partition my second 20MB hard disk?

Well, if it is really only a 20MB drive, I certainly wouldn't
break it up at all.
But, if it is really 20GB or something like that - your ad0 looks
like it is a nominal 36GB or maybe a 40 GB - then it really depends
on what you are doing.

> 2/ Should I dedicate the whole thing to one mount point, say
> called /extra?

That would not be a bad choice, expecially if you have a backup device
that will hold the whole drive.   The only real reasons to break it up
are to facilitate backup/recovery and to isolate things.

> 3/ Do I also need swap space on the 2nd drive?

That would be a good idea, but it is not required.   It is a
reasonable idea to split your swap over all your drives, but
there is nothing that makes that mandatory.

////jerry